Abu Garcia is a company with a long history in the fishing industry. Since introducing its first fishing reel in 1941, the company has continually expanded its product line and offerings. They now sell a wide range of equipment, including reels, rods, tools, and apparel.
Today, we’ll take a look at the Revo SX Low-Profile Baitcast Fishing Reel. This is a durable fishing reel that comes in three models: the RVO3 SX, RVO3 SX-HS, and the RVO3 SX-Left Handed. The product is a bit pricy but could be a worthwhile investment.
Although our review will primarily focus on the RVO3 SX, we’ll touch on the other two models as well. First, let’s take a brief look at the specs of the Abu Garcia Revo SX Low-Profile Baitcast Fishing Reel:
- Mono Capacity = 145 yards/12 pounds
- Braid Capacity = 140 yards/30 pounds
- Gear Ratio for the RVO3 SX = 6:4:1
- Gear Ratio for the RVO3 SX-HS and Left-Handed Model = 7:1:1
- Max Drag = 20 pounds
- Weight = 6.65 ounces
- Dimensions = 6.3” x 4.7” x 3”
- There are nine stainless steel ball bearings and one roller bearing
What we like
The Abu Garcia Revo SX Low-Profile Baitcast Fishing Reel stood out as one of the best available on the market today. There were a few things that helped it stand out against some of its competitors. First and foremost was the weight. The RVO3 SX is an incredibly lightweight 6.65 ounces , which is a bit heavier than a baseball. In comparison, other similar models could weigh up to double.
Part of the reason for the lightweight design is the product’s X2-Craftic alloy frame as well as the C6 carbon side plate. It’s evident that Abu Garcia was concerned about weight when redesigning this product from previous versions and emphasized lightweight design. This model of the RVO3 SX is 25 percent lighter than previous models.
Additionally, we were also very impressed with the wide Infiniti II spool design and MagTrax brake system.
We found that this provided smooth, accurate casting of even the heaviest of loads. We also felt that the Carbon Matrix drag system contributed to the product’s smoothness as well, providing a consistent drag under a variety of circumstances.
Those who are chasing hard-pulling fish can tap into additional torque by using the power knob and the extended bent cranking handles. This design is state-of-the-art and should provide for a more ergonomic design. The product also features a titanium-coated line guide, which helps reduce friction when a fish is on the hook. Customers should see reduced line breakage and an increase in their catch rates.
Although some may consider this product expensive – more on that below – the cost could be well worth paying. That’s because the Revo SX is built to last, which means it’s a worthwhile investment that could end up lasting for years. Although the short-term costs of the purchase may be higher when buying this product, your long-term costs should cut back considerably.
The alloy frame is corrosion-resistant material. Additionally, the Duragear gear system is intended to provide exceptional durability. Furthermore, Abu Garcia’s website says that the company will cover manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase, which could help give customers peace of mind when ordering this product.
Overall, we were impressed with the streamlined design of the Abu Garcia Revo SX-Low Profile models. It’s evident that the company emphasized a lightweight, sleek design when redesigning this product. We feel that this product is worth the cost, and it’s built to last and should improve any fisherman’s performance.
The Revo SX was our pick for the overall best baitcasting reel
What we wish was different
There’s not much for us to criticize about this product. The two primary issues, if any, are the cost and the gear ratio of the product. Depending on which model you purchase, the product costs between $130 and $160. There’s no denying that you can find cheaper reels on the market and that some users may find this too much, especially if constructing multiple rod and reel combos.
Furthermore, users may sacrifice a bit of gear ratio if purchasing the standard RVO3 SX model. Most reels in this price range provide gear ratios of at least 7:1, which the HS models offer. However, the 6:4:1 is noticeably lower than some other products. Customers may find that when investing in a high-quality product, they prefer a larger gear ratio.
What other customers say
D Berry reviewed the RVO3 SX and said that of the reels in this price range, this one stands out as the best. Berry noted that the reel cast without effort and that it did so smoothly. The review did recommend that users set the brake properly. Lastly, the reviewer indicated that he also owned a Revo S and a BPS qualifier and that the SX was a better reel even though it cost a bit more money.
Heather took the time to review the RVO3-SX-HS and said that the reel was well worth the cost. She noted that the SX-HS far outperformed her PMAXes. She also said that the Abu Garcia product was lightweight and felt excellent in her hand . Heather said that she planned on purchasing additional SX-HS reels to add to other rods.
Tommy1995 said that the RVO3 SC-HS-Left Handed Model was outstanding and that it had yet to falter. He stated that it is quite strong and that it looks incredible as well. He said, “The best thing about this rod is the confidence you will have while fishing it. I am 0% scared of any equipment failure from this bad boy.”
If you’re looking for a quality reel to add to your rod, we feel as though you should consider the Revo SX Low-Profile options from Abu Garcia. Although the reels are pricier than other options from Abu Garcia, their construction makes them well worth the investment. We most appreciated the durable alloy frame and the Carbon Matrix drag system. No matter if you’re right or left-handed, check out the Revo SX.
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: The Abu Garcia Revo SX Baitcast Reel is made from an X2-Craftic alloy frame and C6 carbon sideplates. The Infini II spool design allows for extended castability and extreme loads. It's strong and lightweight at 7.8 oz.
- RECOVERY RATE: Recover 27” | 69cm of line for every turn of the crank. Gear ratio of 6.6:1. Made with a D2 Gear Design and Duragear brass gear for a more efficient system and extended durability.
- INFINI BRAKE SYSTEM gives almost limitless adjustability, allowing you to handle any fishing situation. The Ti coated line guide reduces friction and improves durability. The lube port allows you to easily lubricate your fishing reel.
- DRAG SPECS: Carbon Fiber Star Drag, Max: 24lb | 10.8kg. The Power Stack Carbon Matrix drag system provides extreme drag pressures combined with unparalleled smoothness. Mono Capacity yd/lb: 175/10 145/12 100/15. Braid Capacity 190/20 140/30 100/50.
- RIGHT HANDLE POSITION: The compact bent handle and star are more ergonomic to give you all-day comfort. 10 total bearings: 9 stainless steel ball bearings plus 1 DuraClutch instant anti-reverse bearing provides smooth casting.