A portable generator can be used for a range of different purposes. They can work well to be an added source of safety for times of emergencies, such as an unexpected power outage, or in the event of a natural disaster. They can also be used when there are planned power outages in the area, but you still need to have power for your home. In addition, they are beneficial for construction sites, farming, outdoor events, camping, RVing, and more. However, finding the best portable generators is not always easy given the fact that there are so many choices out there. To help make things easier on you, we’ve compiled the following list of 10 of the best.[toc]
#1 Honda EU2200i Portable Generator
The Honda EU2200 is the best portable generator in the 2000-watt generator class. It has the ability to operate many different types of appliances. Because of the versatility that it offers, it has been a solution that many have turned to for use when they are camping, RVing, construction job site, or to help power their home in the case of an emergency or power outage of some type.
One of the other reasons that the Honda EU2200i is a popular choice is the fact that it tends to be very quiet. In fact, it will operate between 48 to 57 dBA. This means that is about the same level of noise as having a conversation with someone. You will not have to worry about the sound of the generator being too loud and disturbing for you or for your neighbors.
Many people choose to purchase two of these units because it is so simple to parallel two units with a cord or cable. This will then provide you with double the amount of power – 4400 watts.
This unit is very fuel efficient, as well, which is yet another reason for its popularity. Depending on the amount of work it is doing, a single tank of gas is going to allow it to run for between 4.0 hours and 9.6 hours. Although the unit can provide a substantial amount of power, you will find that the overall size of the unit is still quite small. This helps to make it an efficient and convenient option.
- Very lightweight
- Super Quiet
- Easy to carry handle
- Over 2000 watts of power
- Higher cost
- This popular model can operate a wide variety of appliances, making it perfect for portable use at home, camping, on the job site, or much more. Reliable Power is now at your fingertips with Honda's Inverted Generators.
- So quiet, your neighbors will thank you. The EU2200i operates at 48 to 57 dBA, which is less noise than a normal conversation. This makes it ideal for camping, supplemental RV power and any other activity that requires quiet operation.
- Add a second EU2200i for additional power. Two identical models can be paralleled with an optional cable or cord for up to 4400 watts of power, or time-consuming applications.
- Thanks to our exclusive Eco-Throttle System, the EU2200i offers great fuel efficiency. Runs 4.0 to 9.6 hours on a single tank, depending on the load. This makes it the ideal choice for overnight power, or long-time applications.
- Honda's inverter technology means stable, clean power in a smaller, lighter package. The precision of Honda's inverter technology ensures our inverter generators produce power that is as reliable as the power you get from your outlets at home.
#2 Champion 3500 Watt
The Champion 3500 Watt RV-ready portable generator is a fantastic choice for those who need to have some additional power when they are out camping and enjoying the wilderness … and still need to have some modern conveniences. As with many other types of portable generators, you will find that these can work quite well when used for construction sites, as well as for a cabin, or for home use during emergencies.
One of the standout features of this unit is the fact that it has been designed with safety in mind. It has a low-oil shutoff sensor on it and a 0.6-quart oil capacity. The machine is also highly reliable at 4000 starting watts and 3500 running watts. You can get up to 12 hours of running time from a full tank of gasoline. The machine also offers 68 dBA from 23 feet away, so you will not have to worry about it being too loud. Outlets on the generator include a 120V 30A locking outlet, a 120V 30A RV outlet, and a 120V 20A household outlet. The Champion 3500 watt also offers a volt guard, which is going to prevent any overload from occurring. This helps to ensure that your equipment is kept safe from any spikes in the voltage. The voltmeter will let you monitor just how much power the unit is outputting, as well.
When the unit is purchased brand new, it will include 3-year limited warranty support and lifetime technical support. This is a trusted name and a trusted model when it comes to generators, and it could be the right choice for you.
- Great backup generator during natural disasters
- 4000 watt starting power
- Very good price
- It is loud
No products found.
#3 WEN 56200i
One of the primary selling points of the WEN 56200i is the fact that this 2000-watt portable inverter generator is extremely quiet. It should operate at 51 dBA when it is at a quarter load. This makes it quieter than many conversations and is only about as loud as a window air conditioner at max. Having a quiet generator is a real benefit, as it means you are not going to be too loud for the neighbors, or for yourself. It is also good when you are out camping, as it should not send the wildlife scattering.
This unit is EPA III and CARB compliant. The 79.7 cc stroke OHV engine produces 2000 surge watts and 1600 rated watts. It can produce quality, clean power to provide the energy needed to safely operate various types of electronics without there being a danger of damaging them. This includes items such as a television or computer, or even your smartphone and tablet.
This inverter generator feature two three-prong 120V receptacles, as well as one 12V DC receptacle and one 5V USB port. One of the other features that help to make this a great choice is the WEN Eco mode. When this mode is used, it will allow the motor to adjust the fuel consumption. In addition, the unit is parallel connection compatible, so you can hook up another unit whenever you need to have more than 2000 watts. Finally, the design of the Wen 56200i is lightweight. It only weighs 48lbs, so it should be easy to carry thanks to the low weight and the carrying handle.
- Very lightweight & quiet
- Super affordable generator
- Easy to operate and maintain
- Made in China
- No fuel valve
#4 Generac 7117 GP2200i
This 2000-watt portable inverter generator has a lot to offer in a compact and convenient package./su_highlight]The unit is capable of providing users with 1700 running watts, with the AC maximum outputs of starting watts being at 2200. The generator can provide clean and stable power, which is not only reliable but is also safe enough for those who may need to use sensitive appliances and other electronics that are hooked up to the generator, such as computers.
The fuel tank can hold 1.2 gallons, and it will run for up to 10.75 hours at a 25% load. Another one of the excellent features of this generator, which makes it a good competitor with the other ones on this list, is the fact that it is parallel ready, so it is fast and easy to connect two inverters together so you can get twice the power. It also offers a built-in handle, which makes it nice and easy to transport to wherever you need it.
Thanks to the size and ease of use, you will be able to get quite a bit of use out of this unit no matter where you might be. It can work well for the home if you need to have some power during a power outage or a disaster, for example. It can also work quite well for tailgating, construction, camping, and more. The economy mode even provides noise reduction and better fuel economy.
- Quiet & compact
- Easy to start
- Fuel efficient
- Lack of replacement parts
- Quiet, Compact, Easy to use. AC rated output running Watts: 1700, AC maximum output starting Watts: 2200. Rated 120 VAC Amperage-14.1
- Truepower technology provides clean, stable power ideal for sensitive electronics, tools and appliances while the 1.2 gallon fuel tank allows 10.75 hours of run time at 25% load
- Built-in handle makes it easy to transport and the integrated OFF/RUN/CHOKE knob simplifies startup procedures
- Economy mode provides excellent fuel economy and noise reduction while the LED status lights alerts you on low-oil, overload and power
- Parallel ready allows you to connect 2 inverters together for twice the power (parallel kit model 7118 sold separately)
#5 Champion 2000 Watt Portable Generator
Without a doubt, one of the standout features of this generator is the fact that it is possible to stack the units on top of one another. This can provide you with a substantial amount of power, without taking up as much floor space. These units are parallel-ready and can connect to another unit to give you the added power that you need.
As with many of the other generators on this list, you will find that this Champion unit will offer clean power, so you will not have to worry about using it with your sensitive electronics. The unit features two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity, as well as a 12V DC outlet. When you use the smart economy mode on the unit, you will be able to reduce the electrical load and reduce the sound of the generator when it is operating. Using this mode is also going to provide you with better fuel economy, and it can extend the life of the engine.
Because this generator will only produce 53 dBA from about 23 feet away, you will find that it can be used for many different locations, where you might need power, but you don’t want a loud unit. It would be a good solution for tailgating, camping, and other outdoor excursions, and for construction projects where you need some quality power.
- Eco mode
- 9.5 hour run time
- No external fuel tank hook up
- At only 39 pounds, this inverter is one of the lightest 2000-watt inverters in the industry.Engine Oil Type : 10W-30, Gasoline Tank Material : Steel..Wheels : No. Voltmeter : No
- 53 dBA from 23 feet is perfect for camping, tailgating or to backup a few home essentials, featuring 2000 starting watts, 1700 running watts and up to 11.5 hours run time
- The optional clip-on parallel kit enables this inverter to connect with another 2000-watt Champion inverter to double your output power
- Includes two covered 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD)
- Includes 3-year limited warranty with free lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
#6 Westinghouse WH2200iXLT
Westinghouse is a popular name with many different types of appliances, and they tend to make dependable products. That is certainly true when it comes to the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT generator. The unit can offer 2200 peak units and 1800 rated watts. This is a light and easily portable unit, as it only weighs 43lbs. It features two 120V 20 amp outlets.
This could be a nice option for those who need to have an emergency backup for power in their home just in case the power was to go out. It could also be a good option for those who are thinking about bringing a generator with them when they are going camping. It is fuel efficient, and it has a noise output of only 52 dBA. This means that it is relatively quiet, especially once you get about 20 feet away. The tank is 1.3 gallons, and it has a 13hr runtime when it is running at 25% load.
As with other generators in this list, you will find that the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT is parallel compatible, so you can combine it with a second unit of the same type to increase the amount of power that you are getting. Overall, this is a very dependable gas-powered unit that is easy to see and can work out well for those who need to have some extra power.
- Very lightweight
- Good price per watt
- Easy to carry
- Distinctive smell
No products found.
#7 Champion 1200 Watt Portable Generator
Here is another generator from the popular Champion brand, this one offering up 1500 starting watts and 1200 running watts. With a full tank of gas, which is 1.5 gallons for this generator, the unit has the capacity to last for up to 10 hours at 50% load. This generator was designed with safety in mind. It has a low-oil shutoff sensor and a 0.4-quart capacity.
One of the other nice features of this unit is the fact that it is quiet. The noise level is only 65 dBA from 23 feet away. The generator features a 120V 20A household outlet, and it has ample power for use in the RV, use while camping, tailgating, boating, and heading out fishing or for a trip for the weekend. It can even work quite well when you need to have some extra power around the house for one reason or another. This unit weighs 61.7lbs, but it is still relatively easy to move.
The unit comes with a voltmeter, so you can monitor how much power is being outputted quickly and easily. This could be a very good and durable generator to bring along with you for just about any outing that you might have. It also features Cold Start technology from Champion, so you can be sure that it is going to start even in cold weather. This could be essential if you are suffering a power outage in the middle of winter.
- Very cheap cost
- Great for home backup generator
- Louder than most generators
No products found.
#8 Honda EU3000i Handi
This generator is going to be a good choice for those who need to have a bit more power than what smaller units like a 1200-watt can offer. With the Honda Power Equipment EU3000i, it is even possible to start up recreational vehicle AC units that are up to 13,500 BTUs.
While this unit does weigh 78lbs, and it might not seem to be as portable as some of the smaller units, it does offer a substantial amount of power. Even at this weight, though, it is still the most compact and lightest inverter generator of this power level from Honda. In addition, this unit has a handle and wheels, so you should not have too much trouble getting it from place to place.
The generator contains the eco-throttle system, which is exclusively offered through Honda. It ensures that the unit has excellent fuel efficiency. Depending on the load, it can run for up to 7.7 hours on a single tank of gas. In addition, you will be happy to note that even though this does provide a substantial amount of power, it is still quiet. In fact, it only gets to between 57 and 65 dBA.
This unit could be a good choice for many different types of uses. It could work well for a home generator in the event that the power goes out. You could also use it for construction projects, for camping, and more.
- Lots of portable power
- Quiet for its size and power
- Wheels & Handles to move around
- Expensive but worth it
No products found.
#9 Champion 3800 Watt
This is a large generator that tends to be best suited for larger projects, such as construction sites, or for emergency situations. However, it could certainly be used for other purposes if needed. The generator provides 4750 starting watts with 3800 running watts.
One of the other features of the unit that helps to make it a standout is the fact that it is a dual fuel generator. This means that it can run on either gas or propane. When you are using gas, a full tank of gas will get you about nine hours of runtime. When it comes to propane, a 20lb propane tank will provide up to 10.5 hours of running time.
The generator has a 224cc Champion engine with Touch Start, so it is nice and easy to get things going. It features a 120V 30A RV outlet, a 120V 30A locking outlet, and two 120V 20A household outlets. All of these are secured by Volt Guard. This means you will not have to worry about power surges damaging your appliances.
- Good price for the power
- Comes with oil
- Easy to operate
- Dual Fuel: Operate your 3800-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts of oil (included) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Electric Start: Power up the 224cc Champion engine with the handy toggle switch, battery included
- Intelligauge: Keep track of voltage, hertz and run-time hours to easily monitor power output and track maintenance intervals. Dimensions-26.3 x 24.8 x 22.9 inches
- Outlets: One 120V 30A RV outlet (TT-30R), one 120V 30A locking outlet (L5-30R) and two 120V 20A household outlets (5-20R) - trust Volt Guard built-in surge protector to prevent overloads
- Champion Support: Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
#10 Honda EU1000i Inverter Generator
This generator is very light and compact, meaning that you can take it with you just about anywhere that you go. It only weighs 29lbs, and it has an easy carrying handle. Whether you are camping, or you need it around the house or the job site, it is ready to go.
The generator operates quietly, as well. It is generally between 53 and 59 dBA, which is about the same level as a conversation. This means that it is not going to disturb you, your neighbors, or anyone else. The inverter technology in use with the unit means that you are going to have clean and stable power.
The unit is efficient, as well. It will operate for up to 8.3 hours on a single tank depending on how much of a load it is handling. This is a highly reliable and easy-to-use generator, and it is protected by an oil alert. This means that the engine will shut off if there is low oil pressure detected.
- Easy to carry around
- Quiet & light
- Less than $1000
- Higher cost per wattage
- Lightweight and compact: weighing only 29 lbs., the EU1000i is incredibly lightweight and portable, it's easy to get it to your destination
- So quiet, your neighbors will thank you, the EU1000i operates at 53 to 59 dBA, which is less noise than a normal conversation, this makes it ideal for camping, supplemental RV power and any other activity that requires quiet operation
- Honda's inverter technology means stable, clean power in a smaller, lighter package, the precision of Honda's inverter technology ensures our inverter generators produce power that is as reliable as the power you get from your outlets at home
- Protected by oil alert: this protects the generator by shutting the engine off when low oil pressure is detected
- Thanks to our exclusive eco-throttle system, the EU1000i offers fuel efficiency, it runs up to 8.3 hours on a single tank, depending on the load.
These are the top 10 portable generators that are currently on the market today. As you can see, there are different sizes and power levels, and you should be able to find a solution in this list that is going to work perfectly for your needs.