Over the past few years, there have been a few companies disrupting the fishing industry, seeking to provide affordable, high-quality products to customers. One of those companies is Piscifun. According to the company’s website, they try to “cut down circulation costs” so that they can provide affordable fishing gear. The company has been in existence since 2013.
An excellent example of the cheap, high-quality products that they deliver is the Torrent Baitcasting Reel. Below, we’ll provide a breakdown of why the reel could be the right baitcaster for you.
First, let’s take a brief look at the specs of the Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Reel:
- Gear Ratio = 7.1:1
- Retriever Per Turn = 30.”
- Max Drag = 18 pounds (via 3-layer high grade carbon fiber drag washers )
- Braid Capacity = 30/120
- Mono Capacity = 10/120
- 5+1 Shield Bearings
- Weight = 8 ounces
- Handle = 4.33”
- Available for both right and left-handed anglers
- The product measures 5.1” x 4.5” x 2.5.”
What we like
There’s a lot to like about the Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Reel. Undoubtedly one of the primary sticking points is the price. Customers can purchase this product for about $39. When analyzing the quality of the product, we found that the rate should be significantly higher. Customers receive incredible value when purchasing this product.
Another thing that stood out to us was the emphasis that Piscifun placed on the gears in this product. They reinforced the main gear, boosting both the performance and strength of this unit. The CNC brass gear system is precision-cut and features stainless-steel springs.
Anglers can not only trust the gears’ operation, but they can also believe in their durability because of their water resistance.
We have yet to find another bait caster on the market that provides anglers with reinforced gears. Additionally, we were impressed with the shielding that Piscifun provided on the bearings. The shielding protects against oil particles, water, and salt. This means that anglers can trust the product in both fresh and saltwater without having to worry about it breaking down. Again, impressive for a $40 product.
One of the other innovative points that we found on the Torrent is the 60S Lubricant design. No longer will anglers have to worry about deconstructing their reel to add oil. Piscifun instead added an oil port to the spool. Anglers must merely pour the oil into the port. We found this critical in times of need. No longer will you have to stress about forgetting to oil your reel before heading out on the water.
Lastly, the Torrent features a magnetic braking system and an aluminum spool. This provides fishers with pinpoint accuracy and controls typically seen only in professional reels. This unit also comes with a spool tension knob that significantly reduces the likelihood of a bird’s nest. There is also a dial-in gauge for backlash control.
The innovation that was placed into this product is remarkable. Even if you are satisfied with your current reel, we believe that the Torrent could be well worth the money spent. We wouldn’t be surprised to hear that you switched from your existing unit to the Torrent after giving it a try.
What we wish was different
There’s no denying that the Torrent provides incredible value to customers. Practically everyone who is not a professional should consider adding this tool to their arsenal. However, there are two primary changes that we wish the company would address. In our opinion, these are the only two things hindering the effectiveness of the Piscifun.
First and foremost, the lack of ball bearings is noticeable. The product features 5+1 Shield bearings. As noted below, some customers did not find the lack of ball bearings concerning. However, the 5+1 system is noticeably inferior when compared to other bargain reels from companies such as KingKast, which feature 11+1 bearing systems.
Second is the fact that this device does not come with oil. This seems to be the case with budget bait casters and is not the end of the world. But customers should prepare to pay a few more dollars to purchase oil, which is necessary for bait casters. All this does is provide an added inconvenience to customers.
The most ironic part about this is that they highlight its 60S Lubricant design. One of the unique features of the product isn’t even usable until customers purchase oil. However, both of these complaints are nitpicky. We’re delighted and impressed with the Torrent and the performance it offers to anglers.
What other customers say
Josh H mentioned that the Torrent Baitcasting Reel replaced his Tournament Bait Caster from Bass Pro. Josh noted that the drag on this device is smooth and that the brakes work well. The review did note that the drum can tighten up from time to time, but a simple readjustment had the device back to normal in no time. Josh also said that this product’s value stood out to him the most.
J Hancock said that he had never used a bait caster before and was struggling to find an affordable option until he came across the Torrent. After using the device, he highly recommends it to those on a budget or just starting to learn how to use a baitcaster. The reviewer also said that after using the Torrent, he plans to purchase more Piscifun products in the immediate future.
Although Fishing Dude was impressed with the price of this product, he noted some of the “impressive upgrades” that Piscifun added to the Torrent. This reviewer mentioned the aluminum thumb bar and the long crank handle, which he said provided more control than other reels. This reviewer believed that the lack of ball bearings was not a primary concern and that the product operated very smoothly.
Just because a product is not expensive does not mean it’s of poor quality. The Torrent Baitcasting Reel from Piscifun is an excellent example of this. This product packs some impressive features, making it comparable to other top-of-the-line products from the likes of SHIMANO and Abu Garcia.
Available for less than $40, it’s worth considering when buying your next reel.
- 【Unbeatable Value and Performance】The Piscifun Torrent I is a baitcaster reel that is affordable yet delivers exceptional performance and durability. It is designed to cater to anglers of all levels and comes in a compact size with a concealed side cover release.
- 【High-Performance】The new double bearing supported pinion gear technology used in this product offers high-performance and delivers a 30% increase in smoothness under load compared to the single bearing supported technology. Plus, the Japanese Hamai cut 3604 brass gears, nickel-plated brass driver shaft, and CNC aluminum spools make this baitcasting reel incredibly strong and durable.
- 【Adaptable to Your Needs】Piscifun baitcasting reel available in 5.3:1 and 7.1:1 gear ratio options. The 5.3:1 gear ratio model is perfect for crankbaits or slower presentations, while the 7.1:1 gear ratio model quickly picks up fishing line at 30” per turn, making it great for pitching jigs or burning baits at high speed. From cranking to flipping and pitching, the Torrent has you covered.
- 【Unmatched Drag Power】The Torrent baitcasting reel offers unmatched drag power, with an 18lbs drag system that enables anglers to unleash their fishing potential. The baitcaster reel utilizes advanced triple carbon washers to provide ultimate strength when battling trophy fish, is design to help anglers manage the fight with the fish and increase their chances of successfully landing their catch.
- 【Ease of Use】Maximize your reel's performance. The unique side plate oil port design of this fishing reel makes it very user-friendly and easy to maintain. This feature not only helps beginners to take care of their fishing reel, but it also helps experienced anglers to perform maintenance work more quickly and easily. As a result, this design contributes to extending the overall lifespan of the reel and ensuring its maximum performance.